>>> The old rp-pppoe init script works without problems on my up-to-date
>>> gentoo router. I prefer this way, too.
>> Nobody needs the old init.d-script anymore.
>
> Perhaps we don´t need it, but we like to use it.
>
> The OP said he wanted to use the script. If he wants to use that, it´s his
> decision, isn´t it?

Well, it his decision, but AFAIK the script is not maintained anymore
and is replaced by ...

>> Here are the advantages of
>> using baselayout:
>>
>> - you can unmerge rp-pppoe
>
> I do not see any advantage in that.
> And: The net.example tells to emerge rp-pppoe
>
> [...]
> #-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> # ADSL
> # For ADSL support, emerge net-dialup/rp-pppoe
> # You should make the following settings and also put your [...]

... baselayout's rp-pppoe support that you just found.

BTW: the way to use it, is simply:

  config_eth1=( "adsl" )

/etc/init.d/net.eth1 will then also start and stop rp-pppoe

But you can also use baselayout's new PPP support that just needs the
pppoe-plugin which comes with pppd itself.

>> - the pppoe-plugin provided by pppd uses the kernel PPPoE-implementation
>> which is much faster (but experimental though)
>
> Faster in what way? It surely does not speed up your adsl-connection and i
> don´t give a damn on that 2,5 seconds at 5 o´clock in the morning, that it
> takes to reconnect.

Hmmm, well, it might give you - let's say - 1ms of ping-time or
something like that. Anyway, IMHO it's the "future" way of using PPPoE
if you use the kernel's PPPoE-Implemenation.
No need for an additional user-mode rp-pppoe process. And no need for
the IPC-overhead between the pppd-process and the rp-pppoe process.

Some freaks may have used the "async"-mode instead of the "sync"-mode
for the IPC between pppd and rp-pppoe. Well, the async-mode was also
called "faster" but it also had the bug, that it might lock up. So the
pppd's pppoe-plugin is the perfect way to get something "fast" and working.

>> - ... more?
>
> This is the wrong word, i think "something" would be nice. But that is my
> point of view, others may have seen some advantages in that.

Well, i'm not going to argue about what is an advantage, and what is
not. It depends on the reader and i just tried to explain, what _might_
be seen as an advantage (actually i see advantages in those things i
mentioned - though i don't care about the 1ms ping-improvement).

Greetings,
  Sven