On 14/06/06, Iain Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately different encodings didn't make
much difference.  However, I did notice this when I started firefox from
the command line:

$ firefox
No running windows found
Warning: Cannot convert string
"-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-140-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1" to type
FontStruct

what on earth does that mean?  I tried installing
font-bh-lucidatypewriter-100dpi and font-bh-lucidatypewriter-75dpi but
that didn't seem to do anything.  I think I'm barking up the wrong
tree...

If changing the encoding did not help, it is worth checking your font
file permissions.  Have a look at this thread:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1427510 and the link it
provides at the bottom:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1618075#1618075

HTH