On 6/14/06, Kevin O'Gorman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I would guess you're out of ideas then, except in desperation, I tried
looking for just part
of that: "-W1" and came up with some stuff I hope will further inspire you:

Nope, all of that is normal...

But before you go breaking a braincell on this, realize that the
ebuild became moot yesterday
when I was able to create a binary package from a backup image and
install it on the running
image.  So pursuing this may be wasted effort.  The package is very
old after all.

Well let me take this opportunity to apologize for not giving you
directions on how to work around this problem.  Getting around it
probably would have been fairly simple...I think an 'LDFLAGS="" emerge
--oneshot glib-1.2.10-r5' might have done it.

I am still concerned though, since we don't know where those flags
were coming from, they may return to bite you again.

kdevelop won't emerge because it winds up needing a *.h file that does
not exist, in a *.cpp file that is itself built from a *.ui file.  It
strikes me that this one's gonna have a huge learning curve (for me at
least).

Sounds like a pretty common problem with MAKEOPTS=-jN (N>1).  What can
happen with a parallel make is that if one step needs a file that is
generated by another step, it can start executing before the file is
complete generated by the other step.  The flow looks something like:

thread-a: generating foo.h and foo.cpp from foo.ui...
thread-b: waiting for foo.h and foo.cpp to make foo.o...
thread-a: writing to foo.h and foo.cpp...
thread-b: compiling foo.o from foo.cpp...
thread-b: ERROR compiling foo.cpp!
thread-a: finished writing to foo.h and foo.cpp...

Makefiles have to be specially written to properly avoid the above scenario...

The workaround is to 'MAKEOPTS=-j1 emerge --oneshot kdevelop'

-Richard