Depends on what you want it for.  I personally have two AMD 64 systems - one at work and one at home and have one running 64 bit (work) and one 32 bit (home).  My experience is that yes you can get most major apps running on a 64 bit system through the use of 32 bit bins but there are still a lot of the more exotic apps that are not available in the 64 bit world.  For the hardly noticable increase in speed from the  64 bit apps and the aggravation in getting things to work - I would go  for 32 bit  - everything is available and just works.  I found that it was just too much hassle trying to get everything working  in 64  bits so converted my home system from 64 to 32 and if I had the time would do the same at work.

Pete

On 6/16/06, Hemmann, Volker Armin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Friday 16 June 2006 21:15, Catalin Trifu wrote:
>       Hi,
>

>     I am planning to buy a new machine and lately I was thinking about
> a AMD64 X2 4800+ 2GB RAM.
>     Is it worth to install 64bit linux or should I go for 32. As I have
> read there are issues with video stuff, flash player.
>     This machine is for work and entertainment. I don't like the idea of a
> 32bit chroot if it's too much of a hassle to set it up.

you don't need a chroot.

Just emerge firefox-bin for flash
and
mplayer-bin for wmv files.