On 6/20/06, Mike Markowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Here's a little more info that might inspire some ideas out there in
gentoo land.  Since my /boot partition was possibly in a generally
unhappy state, I booted the 2006.0 livecd, did a "mkfs /dev/sda1" (my
/boot partition), then put grub and kernel stuff back on /boot.  I was
confident this would do it, but no go.  Just to be sure nothing was left
out, I even went through the grub set up process again as Daniel
recommended in another post in this thread.  Still no change.

The boot process continues just prior to the "INIT 2.86" line when the
init.d stuff is kicked off.  While booted with the livecd, I checked and
/sbin/init really is there (mine, not the livecd one).  But when I tried
to pass "init=/sbin/init" as a kernel arg in grub.conf, I got the same
panic along with a message that /sbin/init couldn't be executed (or
something similar - I forgot to write it down).  But since I only hosed
/boot and then reinstalled grub and kernel, I'm not sure why I'm not in
business yet.

What's the 'ls -al' of your /boot partition look like?  Does it have the following link?

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root       1 Dec  8  2005 boot -> .

Just wondering?

-Hani

--
"If, of the many truths, you select only one and follow it blindly, it will become a falsehood, and you a fanatic."