On 6/20/06, Rumen Yotov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Michael Crute wrote:
> I am building a server (AMD Opteron 64) and as a matter of policy I
> always run the hardened profile on my servers. Now this is my first
> time doing an install on an AMD64 architecture with hardened and so
> far it has gone relatively well. The thing that is giving me the most
> problems is Grub. When I try to emerge it in the hardened chroot the
> config script bombs out with an error 'C compiler cannot create
> executables'. One suggested solution was to disable sandbox in
> features and try again, no such luck. My next thought was to build a
> second chroot with a regular (non-hardened) tarball and build a
> package of grub (compiled using the static useflag) then emerge that
> in the hardened environment. Does this make sense? Is it likely to
> work or should I be doing something else? Any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> Note that simply not using the hardened profile is not an option here.

I emerged Grub in a separate non-hardened chroot, built a binary
package and emerged it into my hardened chroot and everything worked
like a charm. I did use the custom-cflags and static USE flag on the
build, I'm not sure if custom-cflags is needed but I'm pretty sure
static is required since the 32bit libs aren't available on my system
outside of the chroot used to build the package. If I'm wrong on this
let me know. If anyone else happens to be running an Opteron processor
and would benefit from the package I would be glad to post it.

-Mike