Allan Spagnol Comar wrote:
Hi list,

I have been trying for 5 days now to install a gentoo system on a
nvidia mother board with fake raid, I already have a windows system on
the machine that needs the raid and I want to install gentoo on it.

I have followed instructions on
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Gentoo_with_NVRAID_using_dmraid
I was succeeded on installing gentoo base system and grub :-), but,
when I boot the systems ask for real_root /dev/mapper/nv_xxxx device

I had try the hard way, open a shell when it ask for real_root and on
/dev/mapper is just control.

I had try with genkernel and on the same situation on /dev/mapper/ has
control and my disk, but none of the partitions.

I am so close of making this work, but is really frustrating get stuck
in something like that for so long.

Thanks for attention, Allan

Hi Allan,

I believe I had pretty much the same problem as you, finding that the initial install went fine, but trying to boot with the new kernel (after using genkernel with the dmraid option) failed.

I found the issue lay with Linux kernel 2.6.16 - I read a post somewhere (which I have since lost track of) that hinted a bug/feature of 2.6.16 meant some partitioning schemes would fail to be detected correctly under NVRaid. The solution for me (so far) has been to run 2.6.15, at least until 2.6.17 goes Gentoo-stable. In other words, I have masked 2.6.16.

Hope that helps,

   Dave.