Just showing a couple of tricks.

On Thursday 22 June 2006 20:15, James wrote:
> Yes, That solves how to install a new kde (mono, meta, split) but
> does not really address cleanzing the sytem of all the old kde kruft.
> I have stuff from kde 3.2, 3.3., 3.4 on some of my older systems.

This removes everything in kde-base that is version 3.2, 3.3 or 3.4 (and
installed of course):

# cd /var/db/pkg && emerge -Cva kde-base/*-3.{2,3,4}*

> > #cd /var/db/pkg && emerge -Cva `ls -d kde-base/* | grep -v -r \
> > 'kdelibs\|arts'`

One could add a version too so that only the newest version of kdelibs and
arts is kept since it is still required. Like this:

# cd /var/db/pkg && emerge -Cva  `ls kde-base | grep -v -r
'kdelibs-3\.5\.3\|arts-3\.5\.3'`

> Beside, my thoughts are to remove everthing and start from fresh, as
> I seem to be tracking down a multitude of kde related trivial issues
> on a variety of kde/gentoo systems I manage.

This removes everything in kde-base. It's equivalent to Neils suggestion.

# cd /var/db/pkg && emerge -Cva kde-base/*

Also after removing old slots there may still be third party apps left that has
been compiled against the old versions. They need to be remerged after the new
version of kde has been emerged to compile them against the new version and
remove the old cruft in /usr/kde/3.4 etc.

This will show you what packages still have cruft in /usr/kde/3.2 - 3.4:

# find /usr/kde/3.{2,3,4} | xargs equery belongs | cat

Unmerge what you don't need or remerge (after emerging kde 3.5) what you still
need. When you are done with that the above command should give no output and
any files still in /usr/kde/3.2 - 3.4 can be safely deleted since they belong
to no package. Pay attention to what you do though. A revdep-rebuild before
this step will probably take care of most of this.

> xfree_vs_xorg, dev_vs_udev,  and now kde seem to need major surgery....
> Historical experiences with Gentoo. Gentoo is great for the current
> new stuff, but often, I'm learning and dealing with minutia, I would
> prefer to avoid. When I do avoid the gentoo minutia, I get burned,
> like now having to move to meta or split. Granted, in the long run,
> these migrations have been good, but it's still painful (time consuming)
>  to walk the gentoo path, at times....

The split packages are replacing the monolithic. Not the other way around. And
KDE 4.x will get out next spring.

--
Bo Andresen