Hi all.

I managed to get hold of some more AGP cards to try and I found the problem but what causes it exactly is a mystery.

No matter what AGP card is fitted with the Viper v550 PCI card installed and I tried a NVidia Geforce 3 and an ATI Rage 128 pro, the AGP card is always detected as a NVidia Riva 128, which by the way has never been near this system. Remove the Viper and the card is detected correctly. I can only assume that when KDE started for the second time this mis-identification confused the hell out of it and it took it out on the second desktop, the one connected to the Viper.

Now all I have to do is find a PCI card that works with other cards.

Stewart