On Friday 23 June 2006 17:51, Jure Varlec wrote:
> Thank you for replying. I see now that I should clarify further what is
> bothering me, as you didn't quite see my point. I guess it got lost in the
> noise. No more stories then :)

It was not lost. Just questioned...

[SNIP]

> Gentoolkit is 0.2.2. After equery, I took a look at the ebuild.
> As for the eclasses, I must admit I'm still not too comfortable with them,
> which is what I was actually referring to when I said I need to understand
> portage better. It's a shame really considering that I've been using gentoo
> for two-and-a-half years. I need to get spanked ;) . But as far as I
> understand it (and from what I can see looking at the eclasses) they are
> merely collections of useful shell functions which devs can use when
> writing ebuilds.

ebuilds inherit dependencies and USE flags from the eclasses too.

[SNIP]

> As you can see, it does not inherit anything, and does not depend on
> anything gnomish. However, when I checked with equery, it definitely
> depended on something which I didn't need/want (sorry, I can't remember
> what it was, probably gconf or some such), although the ebuild specifies no
> such dependency, not even indirectly (through gtk+ etc.)  After I removed
> the unwanted dep and remerged gqview, it did not pull the removed
> "dependency" back in, and no longer depends on it.

Hard to comment on since you don't remember..

> The same applies for dependencies which were disabled through use flags,
> such
>
> as this snip (from openoffice):
> >         gnome? ( >=x11-libs/gtk+-2.4
> >
> >                 >=gnome-base/gnome-vfs-2.6
> >                 >=gnome-base/gconf-2.0 )
>
> In this case, It depended on gnome-vfs and gconf, even when the gnome USE
> flag was disabled. After I removed the offending packages and recompiled
> openoffice, the dependecy is gone.
> Note: you might remember I wrote that oo.org used to be compiled with
> USE="eds", which pulls these in along with other stuff indirectly through
> gnome-extra/evolution-data-server. It was the reason these libs were
> installed in the first place. The dependency problem I'm describing,
> however, is independent from that and was present even after I recompiled
> oo.org without "eds".

I do have openoffice and gnome-vfs too. equery depends gnome-vfs does report
openoffice for me despite the fact that the gnome use flag is disabled. So I
tried removing gnome-vfs from /var/db/pkg/app-office/openoffice*/{R,}DEPEND.
That stopped equery from showing openoffice with equery depends gnome-vfs. I
also tried removing gnome-vfs and running revdep-rebuild -p. This did not
report any broken dependencies from openoffice. So I think it is very
possible that there are still bugs in equery... I don't know though how
equery works though so it's just a guess.

[SNIP]

> *Sigh*
> I hope I'm missing something here. Because if these are bugs, there's quite
> a few. Sadly, I removed all the temporary lists of packages I removed and
> rebuilt, so I have nothing to report now. Stupid me.

While I think those are bugs they are really minor.

--
Bo Andresen