On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:41:47 +0200
Ralph Slooten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> When you plug in your camera into your USB, what does `lsusb` show?
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 010: ID 03f0:6e02 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

> Then, looking in /proc/bus/usb/[Bus-id_of_your_camera]
:) nothing.... there is nothing in /proc/bus/usb, found it though
in /dev/bus/usb/002/010 but
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 189, 137 Jun 23 22:26 010 so I would still be
able to download the pictures but that does not happen

> You see, the new device created here is the root:plugged one. What
> does yours show? The thing you need to keep in mind here is that you
> have to have rw permissions to that new device file, else you get
> that error. If yours is roor:root or something, do a chown of it and
> then try as user... the chances are it'll work (until you next plug
> your camera is of course).

Searching the net also found this:
"Like most, my camera identifies itself as an external hard disk
connected over the USB bus, using the SCSI transport. To access my
photos, I mount the drive and copy the image files onto my hard disk.

Not all cameras work in this way: some of them use a non-storage
protocol such as cameras supported by gphoto2. In the gphoto case, you
do not want to be writing rules for your device, as is it controlled
purely through userspace (rather than a specific kernel driver). "
here :http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
> Doing a grep for plugdev in /etc returns /etc/hotplug/usb/usbcam ...
> seems that file is responsible for the permissions, but what happens
> then is a mystery to me ;-)
 Followed the instructions there but i got lost quickly as there were
unclear to me so i did not got the script to do something useful

> As for that line being mandatory, no I don't believe so, but about 1
> year ago I had the same issues, got talking with some usb-gurus and
> they said to add that. At that time it did the trick, and since then
> I've kept it ;-)
I should also buy them a beer for a good advice here

Thanks!