Yann Garnier wrote:

> Dear gentooers,
>
> I have 2 strange portage behavior since I updated portage a few days ago.
>
> First, It seems portage cannot find server anymore to update the
> portage tree.
> Portage freezes (in fact it doesn't do anything) and says: Checking
> server timestamp...
> I can still update by using emerge-websync so this problem is not
> critical....yet!

No clue there.

> The second issue I experience is that I cannot update my system
> because I have 2 ebuilds that block the entire update.
> I've already seen this issue once and I found a solution by masking
> one of the blocking  ebuild so I tried this time but the update cannot
> be done anyway.
> This problem is much more critical for me since I can't update my
> system anymore !
> Here is the output of an " emerge -pvuDt world"
>
> These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
>
> Calculating world dependencies  ...... done!
> [blocks B     ] sys-apps/pam-login (is blocking
> sys-apps/shadow-4.0.15-r2)
> [blocks B     ] sys-apps/utempter (is blocking
> sys-libs/libutempter-1.1.2.1)

> <snip>

> Can someone tell me what I'm missing ???
>
> In advance thanks.
>
> Yann Garnier

Unmerge pam-login because shadow does that now.  emerge shadow
IMMEDIATELY after you unmerge though or you can't get back in.  This is
something that everyone has been through I guess.  I did too.

I guess you need to unmerge libutemper too.  I seem to recall doing
that.  May better wait to make sure.

Hope that helps.

Dale
:-)  :-)