On Wednesday 28 June 2006 12:59, Dave Oxley wrote:
> I have the new Java system installed but I have a problem. I accidently
> removed net-dns/libidn when I did an 'emerge --depclean', but its
> required by Asterisk. When I try to emerge it I get the output below.
> Anybody know how I can fix this.

>  * Enabling generation-2 compatibility ...
>  * There was a problem determining which VM to use for Generation-1
>  * See the list of available VMs by using: java-config-1 -L
>  * Then select on of those by using: java-config-1 -S <selected vm>
>  * And once that is done, run: env-update && source /etc/profile
>  * Then to continue the emerge: emerge --resume

You need to follow the java upgrade guide [1]. java-check-environment will
inform you that you need to install a Generation-1 VM. This is for ebuilds
that have not yet been ported to the new system. Note that sun-jdk-1.5*
cannot function as a Generation-1 VM. So to use sun-jdk for this you need to
unmask and install sun-jdk-1.4.2.12.

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/java/java-upgrade.xml

--
Bo Andresen