Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:

> > # egrep null 50-udev.rules
> > KERNEL=="null",         NAME="%k", MODE="0666"

> > Why is /dev/null getting repeatedly set to more restrictive
> > permission than 666?

> Is another rule overriding this one? Try
> grep null /etc/udev/rules.d/*.rules

<shows>
/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules:KERNEL=="null",         NAME="%k", MODE="0666"

And the other edits I make seem to be still in place:

KERNEL=="console",              NAME="%k", GROUP="tty", MODE="0666"

which was the line I edited in '50-udev.rules'.

etc/group <shows>
tty::5:allen,james,mythtv,allie

Still I have to ssh in and issue:
chmod 666 /dev/null
chown root:tty /dev/pty*
chown root:tty /dev/tty*

Before I make these changes, root:root owns the ptys/ttys and
the /dev/null permissions are 600 (crw).

Any other ideas as to what can be setting/corrupting these
file permission/ownership?

I can always use a custom script to patch this until a permanent
fix is discovered. Any ideas what's the best place to do this?
After bootup but before loging via the kdm session manager?

James