Daniel da Veiga wrote:

Well, I'd expect to get something usable even with minimal flag.
IMHO, mysqld *is* critical feature...

No, you have the client and all libraries needed to access a remote
server, that is a VERY useful flag when you really don't need the
whole mysqld stuff and data, while still you want to access a remote
DB.

But description says:
mysql: A fast, multi-threaded, multi-user SQL database server.

And that's what I'd expect, even with minimal use-flag:
server, not client. And if "minimal" removes server
functionality, than it does remove critical features
(if you remove server-functionality, it is not server anymore).

All I want to say is that description (or implementation)
of that "minimal" flag might be misleading...

Jarry