I used to print to a LAN CUPS printer at
lanmachine:631/printers/printername until I recently took that
(parallel port printer) and hooked it up to lp0 on my local machine.
Since then I cannot seem to print from any local application nor does
lpstat show any printers:

currently this is what I see:
$ lpstat
lpstat: Unable to connect to server: No route to host

I think it's still trying to connect to the old CUPS printer on a
different machine

however:
$ lpstat -h localhost -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: gray-deskjet
device for gray-deskjet: parallel:/dev/lp0
device for pdfprt: cups-pdf:/
gray-deskjet accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
pdfprt accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
printer gray-deskjet is idle.  enabled since Jan 01 00:00
printer pdfprt is idle.  enabled since Jan 01 00:00

The only way I can print to my local printer is if I select "print
test page" from the CUPS web interface so I know the printer is
working.
The funny thing is that I can also print to this local printer from
other machines - Linux and Windows via IPP/CUPS.