On Sunday 02 July 2006 21:19, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> Matthew R. Lee wrote:
> > is done.  I wasn't convinced, however I tried rebooting.  No X, so I
> > logged in and issued 'startx', nothing so I checked '/usr/bin/startx',
> > it's not there, clearly it hadn't installed x  So back to
> > xorg-x11-6.8.2.-r8.  I've
>
> This is a really weird issue that's been coming up, where the packages
> are "installed" but files are missing. What filesystem(s) are you using?
>
> > tried another emerge --sync to see if that would fix the problem but no
> > joy. So the question is, how do I force portage to down load and
> > recompile the packages from scratch?
>
> You could try `emerge -ep xorg-x11`.

When user upgrades to modular X.org there is a block that requires him to
remove xorg-x11-6.8*. Then the user upgrades, reboots and finds out there is
something wrong. So he downgrades. But when downgrading there is no block
requiring him to remove modular X first. So he merges xorg-x11-6.8 which
overwrites a *LOT* of modular X files like e.g. startx and only unmerges
xorg-x11-7.0 which is a very small package. Now the user decides to upgrade
again so he unmerges xorg-x11-6.8 again and it removes all the files but
portage still thinks modular X is installed except of xorg-x11-7*. So when he
emerges xorg-x11-7* that package is the only one which is remerged...

--
Bo Andresen