On Thursday 06 July 2006 20:20, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm migrating my router to Gentoo. Therefore I have to boot
> the old system from time to time. This I'm doing through a
> serial connection.
>
> Grub und the getty communicate to Minicom without complaint.
> However, the kernel messages while booting get lost.
>
> The Grub configuration is:
>
> serial --unit=1 --speed=9600
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-myone root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=791 console=tty0
> console=ttyS1
>
> The old kernel on the old system reports as expected with
> the same parameters.
>
> Suppose I forgot something to compile into the kernel.
>
> Any hints?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bertram
>

> --
> Bertram Scharpf
> Stuttgart, Deutschland/Germany
> http://www.bertram-scharpf.de

I don't recall what the defaults are, maybe it would help if you changed the
parameter for your kernel to console=ttyS1,115200n8r or whatever suits your
config.

As for the kernel, everything you need should be in
Device Drivers -> Character devices -> Serial drivers

My config:

<*> 8250/16550 and compatible serial support
[*]   Console on 8250/16550 and compatible serial port
[ ]   8250/16550 device discovery via ACPI namespace
(4)   Maximum number of non-legacy 8250/16550 serial ports
[*]   Extended 8250/16550 serial driver options
[*]     Support more than 4 legacy serial ports
[*]     Support for sharing serial interrupts
[ ]     Autodetect IRQ on standard ports (unsafe)
[*]     Support special multiport boards
[*]     Support RSA serial ports

--
Jure Varlec