fire-eyes wrote:
On Friday 07 July 2006 21:51, Ryan Tandy wrote:
Set VIDEO_CARDS="radeon" or USE="video_cards_radeon", and emerge -N
xorg-x11.  Worked for me (Radeon 9600 XT) as of the first X -configure
run, with no additional messing about.  The driver name is "radeon" if
you like to do xorg.conf by hand.

Hm. I had VIDEO_CARDS at radeon already, however, I am curious about the video_cards_radeon USE flag. I set this and an emerge -Np xorg-x11 doesn't show anything. What listens to that USE flag?

VIDEO_CARDS="radeon" implies USE="video_cards_radeon" (a nifty Portage feature called USE_EXPAND). Depending on your xorg-x11 version and ACCEPT_KEYWORDS:

for ~arch (~x11-base/xorg-x11-7.1), xorg-server and mesa are the ones that use it.

for arch (~x11-base/xorg-x11-7.0), it's the xorg-x11 ebuild itself that has it.

If you're running ~arch, installing 7.0 will still pull in the newer, ~arch mesa and xorg-server, so all 3 ebuilds will have the flag. I'm not sure how well this configuration works.

And when I said emerge -N xorg-x11 in my original mail, it should have been emerge -ND xorg-x11, so that xorg-server and mesa get updated with the new flag as well. On the other hand, if you already have it set, nothing will be rebuilt.

Have you checked that your xorg.conf is set to use that driver? Also, I've never owned a PCIe system, so I don't know what support for that is like. As always, YMMV ;)