James wrote:
> (...)
> My first card:
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX
> 400]
> (rev b2)
>
> Legacy or current? It's not clear to me which category this or any other
> nvidia cards fall into. Is there a table I can look up to see which
> nvidia cards belong to which driver.

        For your card you can use the current drivers.. You can have a
look at this :

        http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_18897.html

It contains all the models supported by the latest nvidia drivers.

> In xorg.conf do I use do  'nv' or 'nvidia' or 'nvidia-legacy'
>  Driver      "nv"
>  Driver      "nvidia"
>  Driver       "nvidia-legacy"
>
> With my hardware, which current nvidia driver (legacy) would I emerge
> to match my card?

You can use nvidia driver in your xorg.conf.
        Driver "nvidia"

> On another gentoo workstation It has this card:
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]
> (rev a1)
>
> Which Driver would I choose for this nvidia card?

This card too will work with the latest nvidia-drivers.

One more thing James, there is no need to do an emerge nvidia-kernel and
emerge nvidia-glx anymore.. There is a new unified ebuild
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers. Just do a emerge x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers.
I suggest you do

        $ echo "x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers ~x86" > /etc/portage/package.keywords

as the newest drivers have not yet made into the stable branch..

Hope this helps,
Farhan Ahmed
--
Place           :  Bangalore, Karnataka, India
GPG Key         :  8BE90E98