Hi,

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 15:40:39 -0300
"Daniel da Veiga" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Maybe I'm wrong, but binary packages are BINARY (-k), so, you can't
> change their USE, because they're already compiled, they'll use the
> flags that were used by the time the package was created. If you
> install it creating binaries (FEATURES="buildpkg" emerge xorg-x1) now
> with another USE or emerge it and create the binaries after it
> (quickpkg), then you may get what you want when you try and reinstall
> it.
>
> Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm using logic here, not
> exactly empiric knowledge ;)

But it's right :-). Even if xorg-x11 may be a "meta" package, it's a
package, after all. And thus it's set of USE flags (and those
additional configuration vars that are listed in verbose output of
emerge) was *fixed* when the binary was created. That makes perfectly
sense -- if you want it to get rebuild, don't use -k. And it's a meta
package, it does download nothing at all. So having a binary of it
doesn't make much sense if there's a very heterogenous number of
clients that make use of the binaries. For restoring the machine that
built the binaries, however, it makes perfectly sense (as long as
hardware doesn't change).

-hwh