On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 02:14:02 -0700
Richard Fish wrote:

> On 7/25/06, Arnau Bria <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've seen a file named "[" in my /usr/bin ...
>
> Perfectly normal.  It is a program that implements bash style tests
> for script environments that don't normally do them.  For example:
>
> if [ -f /etc/passwd ] ; then
>   echo "/etc/passwd exists and is a regular file"
> fi
>
> Notice the "[" after the "if"....
>
> "man test" will give you the user manual for it.

Thanks, I'll take a look right now.

> More generally, merge gentoolkit, and you can use equery to find out
> where things come from.  Ex:

> ~ > equery belongs "/usr/bin/["
[...]
sure, but I supposed that if it was a strange file, it could come from
a corrupt source from coreutils. (I already looked for it with
equery, but its strange name make me confused).

I have a periodically rkhunter runnig in my system, but I was afraid I
got a corrupted source package...

> -Richard

even though answering only to Richard, thanks to all who answered my
question!

Cheers!

--
Arnau Bria