On Tuesday 25 July 2006 09:07, Richard Fish wrote:
> On 7/24/06, Paul Stear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Yes it is just very slow, the mesage stalled keeps coming up and then
> > starts again.
>
> Double check what the connection speed is for XP.  You can do the same
> using ethtool under Linux.  You should see 100mbit, full duplex on
> both.
>
> One problem could be if you have flaky cables, the switch or the NICs
> could attempt to re-negotiate the link speed frequently, and kill your
> bandwidth.
>
> So I would try different cables, or maybe even pick up an inexpensive
> ethernet switch (not "hub"!), and see if that makes a difference.
> Maybe it is a problem with the switch in the router...

Thanks Richard,
My gentoo box is set ok using ethtool. How do I check the setting on the
windows xp box?
Downloading files from the internet on windows is as fast as my gentoo box,
the problem seems to be when they are talking to each other.
Paul

--
This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux