Thanks Guys,

That cleared it up and so I went back and tried modular X again - it worked except that I have no keyboard this time - any thoughts on this?

Pete

On 8/3/06, Toby Cubitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 12:43:26AM +0300, Mantas Povilaitis wrote:
> On 8/3/06, Pete Pardoe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> ><=x11-base/xorg- x11-6.9 (is blocking
> >
> >I have tried emerge --clean  x11-base/xorg-x11-6.9   and emerge --prune
> >x11-base/xorg-x11-6.9 and they both tell me that the package is not there.
>
> it is written <= before package name, so 6.8 counts too (6.8<6.9)

Your problem is that the modular xorg is now in the stable tree, so
portage is trying to upgrade to the modular xorg when you do an emerge
world (if you look further down the list of packages that emerge world
is trying to install, you should see xorg-x11-7.0). The dependencies
pulled in by modular xorg have to be installed before xorg-x11 itself
can be upgraded, but they are blocked by your currently installed,
non-modular xorg-x11-6.8.

There are two solutions: unmerge the non-modular xorg-x11-6.8, and
then merge the modular xorg-x11-7.0 (following the migration guide on
www.gentoo.org). But you seem to have already tried this.

The second solution is mask modular xorg by adding the line

>x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8

to /etc/portage/package.mask (including the ">", obviously). Then
portage won't try to upgrade xorg, it won't pull in all those
dependencies that block on your version of xorg, and portage should
stop complaining.

HTH,

Toby
--