this has been a fascinating conversation. thanks boris for starting it.
i've tested almost everything that has been mentioned.

i often have to monitor my computers over slow text-only ssh sessions, so my
focus may be a bit different from others.

tcpdump (and ethereal/wireshark) of course can not be beat for looking inside
packets.

to see what connections are open and how much data they are transferring, in a
telnet/ssh situation i like bmon and iftop. i especially appreciate the
"graphical" feature of bmon.

in real graphical environments, i like etherape.

thanks to everyone who has contributed so much wisdom