On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 13:53:55 -0700 Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 8/12/06, Robert Cernansky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I found out that Win key (Mod4) is not seen as modifier because it is
> > mapped to wrong keycode:
>
> I think you are on the wrong track.  I have basically the same results
> on my system (laptop, so no right-side win-key):
>
> ~ > xmodmap | grep mod4
> mod4        Super_L (0x7f),  Hyper_L (0x80)
[...]
> And win-tab works fine for me with KDE.
[...]
> That said, I have no good idea why you are having a problem.  Are you
> getting the KeyRelease events?

Yes, KeyRelease events are ok. What leads me to this assumption is
that, when I remove Alt (Mod1) from modifier list, the Alt+TAB
switching behave same as Win+TAB (wrongly). And - when I remove&add
mod4 using command:

xmodmap -e "clear mod4" -e "add mod4 = Super_L"

switching with Win+TAB works correctly. After this command the keycode
0x73 is included in mapping:

$ xmodmap | grep mod4
mod4        Super_L (0x73),  Super_L (0x7f)

But this is not "system solution". I would rather solve it system
wide, perhaps with correct setting of xkb (in xorg.conf
probably). After more digging in /usr/share/X11/xkb I found file
symbols/altwin where is defined:

xkb_symbols "super_win" {
    key <LWIN> {        [       Super_L                 ]       };
    key <RWIN> {        [       Super_R                 ]       };
    modifier_map Mod4   { Super_L, Super_R };
};

This looks good but I have trouble to activate it. I mostly end up
with "dead" keyboard. I'm trying something like this:

setxkbmap -layout us -symbols pc+us+altwin -variant super_win

Does anybody know how to activate this "super_win" setting?

Robert

--
Robert Cernansky
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]