On 8/13/06, Hemmann, Volker Armin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Monday 14 August 2006 04:39, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> This was not the first time.  It wasn't the last either -- I'm looking at a
> new fresh crop.  Am I then to understand that none of these messages will
> ever be warning ME that I need to do something (actually, I know that's not
> true).
>
> If not, how am I to tell?  What clues are you guys going on?  Is it just
> beyond some threshold of geekishness/incomprehensibility that marks it as
> for devs only?

the threashold is, that this is a warning about a function used in ebuilds to
use a certain eclass, which is even more ebuild stuff. And correcting ebuilds
is dev stuff.

No need for geekiness threshold - if it is about ebuilds and eclasses, it is
for devs. Heck, every problem/warning about an ebuild is for devs.

If there is a message for the user, it is usually very easy to recognize.
Stuff like: 'after updating package FOO to version X.Y.Z-r3 you need to
rebuilt package BAR' is obviously for you, the user.

I'm not reassured.  I don't think messages among devs should share a
channel with messages to users without some explicit tagging.  The stuff
you say is for devs looks worrisome to me because I don't really understand
it.  I'd like something more clear.
++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD