On 8/15/06, Ian Kabeary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I like my Vantec Nexstar 3 enclosure. Try for one of them, they are cheap,
flexible in capacity and nice to look at.
Works in Gentoo just as easily as a Jumpdrive.
~Ian

If you are looking to buy the drive and enclosure separately, I too
can recommend these, but only in the 3.5" size.  The 2.5" one I had
corrupted every large file I wrote to it.  Of course since you are
looking for >250G, you are not looking at 2.5", but whatever you get,
I recommend testing thoroughly with some md5sum verifications.

You can find this same enclosure under several different brands.  The
most important thing IMO is to make sure that the DC power input has
separate 12V and 5V pins.  The enclosures with a simple round 12V DC
power input do not provide enough power for large drives.

Of course if you buy the Seagate/WD/Buffalo with the drive
pre-installed, you don't really have to worry about the power.  You
can safely ignore the button, it won't impact the drive's
functionality in any way.

-Richard