* Roman Zilka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > # cat /etc/resolv.conf
> > > nameserver 127.0.0.1
> > > nameserver 10.0.0.3
> > > search gvid.cz
> > > domain gvid.cz
> >
> > domain and search are mutually exclusive!
>
> Hm, I see, thanks for the hint. Somehow somewhere I got a wrong understanding
> of what "search" actually means.

* "domain" is the namespace where all your non-cacnonical
  hostnames sit in, so necessary for constructing the canonical
  names (FQDNs).

  For example, if your box's name is "furunkel" and your domainname
  is "my-back.net", then your FQDN becomes "furunkel.my-back.net".

* "search" is the list of the namespaces where non-canonical names
  are searched in on lookup.

  For example, you've got "foo.org" and "blubb.de" in your search list
  and you're doing a lookup for "mybox", it will try the FQDNs
  "mybox.foo.org" and "mybox.blubb.de".

I didn't ever try what happens when domain also added to search
list (maybe nothing, since its searched anyway), but it does not
make any sense.

cu