On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 08:51 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 22:48:04 -0300, Bira wrote:
>
> > Get a friend with a Gentoo machine and an internet connection to do an
> > "emerge --fetchonly" in the packages you want and burn you a CD with
> > the zipped files Portage will download. Then copy the files over to
> > your /usr/portage/distfiles directory and emerge normally.
>
> That will only work for certain if your friend has an identical setup,
> both in terms of USE flags and packages installed.

The best way to do this is to use emerge to tell you exactly what
sources it wants to download, get this info into a file then use wget on
a different machine to read this file and  download the sources:

        emerge -pvf world 2>&1 > emerge.txt

gives a list of files to be downloaded. Bash this file into shape with
something like

        cat emerge.txt | cut -f1 -d' ' |  grep -e '^http://' | sort |  \
        uniq > emerge1.txt

Use wget on the other machine to do the downloads:

        wget -c -i emerge1.txt

copy these downloads to /usr/portage/distfiles on the gentoo machine and
run

        emerge -avuND world

It might even succeed! I do this, as the company pipe is only 512k and
it's maxed out during office hours. To be polite to everyone else I
download after hours using the above and a neat cron job. It's more work
for me, but hey, at least I get to keep my friends at work :-)

alan