I use the sourceforge ipw2200 stuff -  never could get the kernel stuff
to work, even on simple networks.

bunyip ~ # esearch ipw2200
[ Results for search key : ipw2200 ]
[ Applications found : 2 ]

*  net-wireless/ipw2200
      Latest version available: 1.1.3
      Latest version installed: 1.1.3
      Size of downloaded files: 399 kB
      Homepage:    http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/
miniPCI and 2225BG PCI adapters
      License:     GPL-2

*  net-wireless/ipw2200-firmware
      Latest version available: 3.0
      Latest version installed: 3.0
      Size of downloaded files: 791 kB
      Homepage:    http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/
miniPCI and 2225BG PCI adapters
      License:     ipw2200-fw

The above works!  It might also be a good idea to bypass as much as
possible of gentoos networking scripts (from experience,
esp /etc/conf.d/net), at least until you get a working setup, then you
can roll the changes back in and test as you go.

They just do not work well when you have a dozen or more networks using
vpn's, wireless. wired, wep, plain and wpa - mainly I think because of
the way its documented means that while they tell you how to do many
things, they dont tell you how or why, so its too easy to shoot oneself
in the foot.  I suspect they are trying to be all things to every
possible combination, and fail dismally with wireless and laptops!  And
until I found a udev workaround, multiple network cards in a server :(

BillK