Don't feel bad Alan - for me, also this is very unclear.  I upgraded baselayout
then got the message my conf.d/net was using deprecated syntax so I went to
net.example, copied it to net which is symlinked to net.eth0 (after backing
up<G>).  I then went through the file and found that it appears iproute2 is now
preferred although there are no man pages or docs and it got installed on my
system.  I use static so I updated the address with the new function per the
in-file instructions and set the route.  I restarted net.eth0 and immediately
lost internet access - I had pop and https but no news or regular http or sync!
 After much hassle all I did was comment out some nameservers in
/etc/resolv.conf and left a couple more and it worked again.  To be honest I
can't say the upgrade was to blame - I'm checking into the nameservers having
issues.

However, the differences between the old and new or what the new is supposed to
do better is very unclear.