On Saturday 26 August 2006 21:16, Mark Knecht wrote:

> 1) Do I load grub on /dev/hda1 - the NTSF partition? This seems wrong
> to me as grub most likely doesn't like NTSF.

Please don't!  It'll wipe out the Windoze partition boot sector and he won't
be able to boot WinXP again (not without running the fixboot command from a
WinXP installation CD).

> 2) Do I put grub on the Gentoo boot partition and then do the standard
> chain load to Win XP? If this is the case then which partitions should
> be marked as bootable?

I would put Grub in the Gentoo boot partition and chainload it using WinXP's
NTLD - google for it and if you can't find it write back and I'll have a
look.  If at any moment he decides that Gentoo is not for him, he can
remove/delete the Gentoo partitions without any ill effect on his WinXP.

> 3) Put grub in the MBR and point it at the Gentoo boot partition to
> find grub.conf? This seems possible. If I do this and it gets messed
> up, what do I need from Windows to put M$'s boot loader back in the
> MBR and let it boot normally?

You could that and install Grub on /dev/hda (my preferred way because I like
Grub).  However, to restore things to the M$Windoze way, you will need to run
the fixmbr command from a WinXP installation CD.  That'll rewrite the MBR
with the Windoze boot code.

> 4) Something else?
>
>    I looked around for a Gentoo Wiki but they seem to all be written
> as if Windows is on a second drive. I couldn't find this case.

If Google does not come up with something post back and I'll have a look
--
Regards,
Mick