On 8/26/06, Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I can't get mplayer to play DVDs on my laptop.  I have 4 DVDs here and
> > it played one of them once, but that's it.  Sometimes a message will
> > pop up saying "failed to play DVD" but sometimes not.  Does anyone
> > know how to troubleshoot mplayer for something like this?  I'm
> > emerging gxine now.  I know that worked at one time.
>
> Start mplayer from an xterm, and it will print more useful debug info
> (hopefully).

gxine plays 2 out of 4 of the DVDs every time.  mplayer doesn't output
anything when started from a terminal except the following which pops
up right away, before a DVD is put in:

Failed to open /dev/rtc: No such file or directory (it should be
readable by the user.)

Does your kernel have the real time clock feature turned on? There are
several ...RTC... settings in my kernel.

--
Collins Richey