On 8/23/06, Michael Crute <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I am trying to write a scrip to maintain my Bind zone files and I was
wondering if it is valid to cram the SOA all onto one line. I have
scoured the internet and can't find anyone who does it that way. My
question is... will it break stuff? Right now my SOA looks like:

<snip>

what I am proposing is this:

@ IN SOA ns1.domain.com. admin.domain.com. ( 2006082201 12h 1h 2w 1h )

Are the two equivalent?

OK, after a little testing I determined that it is valid to have it
all on a single line and when it is on a single line the parens are
optional. This works quite nicely and makes my script easier to write.

Also, Bryan... just for your info the semicolons are simply comments
and really aren't at all needed for the DNS server to function
properly.

Thanks for the help everybody.

-Mike