> Greylisting seems to be the most effective way of eliminating unwanted
> email.  The problem is that it also has the potential to eliminate a
> legitimate email.  Couldn't a feature be added to greylisting software
> that dispatches an email to the sender of any email that is
> temporarily rejected and doesn't retry within a certain amount of
> time?  The email could say something like, "Your message of {date} was
> rejected as possible spam.  Please call us at {phone_number}."
>
> - Grant

        I'd just configure a retry time of something large if you're worried
about it. IIRC the default is one day and you could raise it to two days
on a slow system without worrying that the db is getting too large.

How exactly are legitimate messages lost through greylisting?  I've
come up with these:

1. legitimate messages that don't retry (someone mentioned Amazon newsletters)

2. legitimate messages that take longer than the maximum specified
retry period to retry (has anyone run into a mail server that takes
longer than a day to retry?)

3. legitimate messages that retry from a different server each time
they retry (someone mentioned that they have seen this)

- Grant