> I think you forgot to specify the mode.  From man mdadm:
> SYNOPSIS
>        mdadm [mode] <raiddevice> [options] <component-devices>
>       If  a  device  is  given  before any options, or if the first option is
>        --add, --fail, or --remove, then the MANAGE mode is  assume.   Anything
>        other than these will CAUSE THE MISC MODE TO BE ASSUMED.
> (emphasis added)
> So I think you need "mdadm manage /dev/md4 --add /dev/hdj1".  Or
> "mdadm --add /dev/md4 /dev/hdj1".

I appreciate the feed back.  Here is what I am getting.

~ # mdadm manage /dev/md4 --add /dev/hdj1
mdadm: An option must be given to set the mode before a second device is listed

~ # mdadm --add /dev/md4 /dev/hdj1
mdadm: add new device failed for /dev/hdj1 as 2: Invalid argument

and for kicks :)
~ # mdadm manage --add /dev/md4 /dev/hdj1
mdadm: error opening manage: No such file or directory
~ # mdadm --add manage /dev/md4 /dev/hdj1
mdadm: error opening manage: No such file or directory

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.