On Saturday 02 September 2006 04:54, kashani wrote:
> Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> >>
> >> You are not alone boy! I used to get to my girlfriend's house, and
> >> although the TV was many rooms away I usually said "hey, you're watching
> >> tv. I got beer!" :)
> >
> > I have to admit, it got 'better' in the last couple of years - but as
> > child, I could not sleep when my parents watched TV. Not because of the
> > program - I did not hear the voices or music, but that sound.
> >
> > Thanks to the fact, that TV manufacturers like to buy the cheapest parts
> > they can get, all TVs make that noise, and I had lots and lots of
> > sleepless nights.
> >
> > Today it is just good enough for 'somebody is watching tv' when I visit
> > my family.
>
>       Tends to go away as you get older and start experiencing high frequency
> hearing loss. The loss tends to be more extreme if you're male.
> Concerts, firearms, motor sports, and continuous droning like A/C
> systems without earplugs will hasten your loss as well. Being in my
> thirties and having abused my ears with all the above at points I hardly
> ever hear the "TV noise" these days.

I started losing the higher frequencies on my right ear when I was playing the
drums with a rock band in my early twenties.  I had a large crash cymbal on
the right hand side of my set which would cause me physical pain every time I
used it.  Stupidly enough I did not wear ear plugs.  But that's nothing
really compared to when you get married:  mysteriously you become profoundly
deaf to the frequencies of the female voice . . .  :))
--
Regards,
Mick