On Thursday 07 September 2006 02:26, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
> The cost was that some users of stable who chose to upgrade
> as soon as gcc-4.1.1 was stabilized had some extra hazzle with recompiling
> the system and those who find themselves unable to search bugzilla filed a
> lot of dupes.

One more thing that I would like to add is that if a user want a rock solid,
stable system from a source based distro like Gentoo then he should know that
stuff like gcc is so important that he should wait till it has been stable
for at least 3 weeks before making the upgrade. That way others will handle
most of the issues that are going to be there with such a major upgrade.

It really is a misunderstanding to expect that you can upgrade your system
everyday without occasionally running into issues. Even for stable users.
That said if anyone wants to improve quality of the stable branch of Gentoo
they should try to become an arch tester and start helping out [1].

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/x86/arch-testers-faq.xml

--
Bo Andresen