Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 09 September 2006 09:09, Dale wrote:
>

> My wife's a M$Windoze "Certified Engineer" (what a ridiculous concept!).  One
> of the first things I do when I secure Windoze is to remove Outlook Express
> and Windows Instant Messenger from the default installation.  So, to keep her
> quiet I installed the Gaim binary for M$Windoze onto her machine and set it
> up so that it logs her in automatically upon bootup.  Didn't have any
> complaints yet.
>
> I am thinking that once she is familiar with the GUI (FF, Thundebird, Gaim)
> she will switch easier to Linux.

We met back last December.  She was leary at first until her desktop
crashed.  It would boot up sometimes but the keyboard and mouse would
not work at all.  I mean nothing at all.  I tried to reinstall on top of
itself but it didn't help any.  I just took the drive out and copied the
whole thing over.  I then deleted the partitions and such and
reinstalled.  It lasted for a while then it died again, different but
dead just the same.

Later on she noticed that I had not rebooted mine and she said something
about it.  I showed her my gkrellm thing and it shows uptime.  I was up
over a month.  I then showed her where I was up for ~240 days until a
hurricane put my lights out.  She was impressed.  I put the iceing on
when I said I didn't need all the anti-virus crap.  It really got her
when I told her it was free but donations were appreciated.  That was
about the time we had to go buy a new XP CD since she lost the stupid
key for hers.

She takes college courses online and they require windoze for some
reason.  She did have trouble with IE once and said she wished I could
put Linux on there for her.  She's getting there.  Right now she is
really sick.  So maybe later she will take a better look at mine and
come on around.

I do about the same for my bro.  I installed Mozilla for his browser and
email.  The only time they use IE is to go to the site where she works
and it requires IE for that.  The use Mozilla for everything else.  His
install has been on there for about 2 years now.  He is religious about
Norton and not opening nothing unless I sent it to him via email.  If he
gets something iffy, he sends it to me first.  I let him know if it is a
bug or not.

He does need a reinstall but he is on dial-up and it sucks to download
all those patches/updates.

Thanks for the help.

Dale

:-)  :-)