On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 16:00:59 +0200, Harm Geerts wrote:

snip...

> I remember a document where this was the procedure to set a profile.
> I remember it because I found it odd it didn't use a symlink to set the
> profile. I haven't been able to find this document, but I know it existed at
> some point.

man 5 portage:

/etc/make.profile/
              This is usually  just  a  symlink  to  the  correct  profile  in
              /usr/portage/profiles/.   Since  it is part of the portage tree,
              it may easily be updated/regenerated by running `emerge --sync`.
              It  defines what a profile is (usually arch specific stuff).  If
              you need a  custom  profile,  then  you  should  make  your  own
              /etc/make.profile/  directory  and populate it.  However, if you
              just wish to override some settings, do  NOT  edit  these  files
              because  they  WILL  be lost with the next `emerge --sync`.  See
              the section below on /etc/portage/ for overriding.

I still don't know why I did it. Maybe I did not want to update the
profile, maybe there was a default use flag I did not like? I really don't
recall when or why I did it! Beats me.

--
Peter
+++++