On Saturday 09 September 2006 13:14, Colleen Beamer wrote:
> Thanks to all who have replied, but my problem *is not* with my mouse.
> I went through that issue the very first time I installed Gentoo and
> know that I have to change it to /dev/psaux.

Sorry, I only mentioned the mouse because it has been a regular xorg problem
for me.  A couple of years ago I was also using /dev/psaux, but moved on
to /dev/input/mice/ since and also changed the kernel config accordingly.

> SubSection "Display"
>
> >             Viewport   0 0
> >             Depth     24
> >     EndSubSection
>
> I understand what the 24 means, but what is Viewport?  I tried setting
> this to 1280 1024, which is my max monitor resolution, but it doesn't
> have any affect.

Viewport refers to your virtual screen which is larger than the physical
monitor screen.  Placing the cursor at the edge of the monitors scrolls the
screen in that direction, until the edge of the virtual screen is reached.
Useful in small monitors.

As far as know there is no section "Display" in xorg.conf.  I think you need
to change that to Section "Screen".  Here's relevant extracts of mine for
your perusal.

This is part of my xorg.conf in case it helps:
=======================================
Section "Monitor"
        DisplaySize 336 269 # 96 DPI @ 1280x1024
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "NEC"
        ModelName    "NEC LCD1860NX"
        HorizSync    31.0 - 80.0
        VertRefresh  55.0 - 85.0
        Option      "DPMS"
        Modeline  "1280x1024"   108.00   1280 1328 1440 1688   1024 1025 1028
1066
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     1
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     4
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     8
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     15
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

If this doesn't fix it can you ssh into the machine to check what does
the /var/log/Xorg.0.conf show after the crash?

HTH.
--
Regards,
Mick