On 9/12/06, A. R. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,
I have finished a new Gentoo installation with Gnome as the desktop
environment. It is working okay, except for a couple of issues:

1. The admin browsers (Services, Shares etc) do not work properly.
When I try to open "services-admin" for example, as a normal user, the
window comes up, all "greyed out" and nothing else happens! I am not a
very experienced Gnome user, but I was expecting to be prompted for
the root password. Something must be wrong with my configuration since
running services-admin as root works!

Try changing your launcher to use gksudo to launch services-admin
(make sure you run visudo and allow yourself to run all commands).

2. The icon browser that pops up when attempting to put an icon on a
custom app launcher does not browse anything other than
/us/share/pixmaps. If I change to a different directory, I cannot
select any of the icons in that directory!

I find that I need to type the path (or browse to it) and press enter
in the text field afterwards to display the icons in that directory.

Has anybody experienced the same problems? I know that they are not
very critical to the whole operation of the environment, but man, are
they annoying?

Sure are ;) I hope this helps!

--
Neil Isaac