This time a bamboozling Apache/vhost/https problem.

I have a working vhost configuration for several domains in apache2
(latest stable from portage - 2.0.58) and I want to support not only
http services, but, for one domain name at least, I want to support an
https service.  The working configuration for http has a
00_default_vhost.conf file:-

--
NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
    DocumentRoot /var/www/vlan.mydomain.net
    ServerName vlan.mydomain.net
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName temporary.mydomain.net
    DocumentRoot /var/www/temporary.mydomain.net
</VirtualHost>
--

I updated this (following a how-to as closely as I could...) to this:

--
NameVirtualHost *:80
NameVirtualHost *:443

<VirtualHost *:80>
    DocumentRoot /var/www/vlan.mydomain.net
    ServerName vlan.mydomain.net
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName temporary.mydomain.net
    DocumentRoot /var/www/temporary.mydomain.net
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:443>
    DocumentRoot /var/www/ssl.mydomain.net
    ServerName ssl.mydomain.net
    SSLCipherSuite HIGH:MEDIUM
    SSLProtocol all -SSLv2
    SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl.crt/ssl.mydomain.net.crt
    SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/ssl.crt/ssl.mydomain.key
    SSLCertificateChainFile /etc/apache2/ssl.crt/mydomain.crt
    SSLCACertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl.crt/mydomain.crt
</VirtualHost>
--

I believe that I've put valid crt and key files in /etc/apache2/ssl.crt/
- and I'd have expected an error message at least if this is, in fact,

When I parse this configuration with apache2 and the flags from
/etc/conf.d/apache2 (i.e. SSL ) this is how it goes :
--
# apache2 -D SSL --lint
# apache2 -D SSL -S
VirtualHost configuration:
wildcard NameVirtualHosts and _default_ servers:
*:443                  is a NameVirtualHost
         default server ssl.mydomain.net
(/etc/apache2/vhosts.d/00_default_vhost.conf:12)
         port 443 namevhost ssl.mydomain.net
(/etc/apache2/vhosts.d/00_default_vhost.conf:12)
*:80                   is a NameVirtualHost
         default server vlan.mydomain.net
(/etc/apache2/vhosts.d/00_default_vhost.conf:24)
         port 80 namevhost vlan.mydomain.net
(/etc/apache2/vhosts.d/00_default_vhost.conf:24)
         port 80 namevhost temporary.mydomain.net
(/etc/apache2/vhosts.d/00_default_vhost.conf:37)
Syntax OK
--

Unfortunately, when I attempt to connect to the SSL service on
http://ssl.mydomain.net/ using Firefox I get an immediate error :

"The connection was interrupted
The connection to ssl.shic.dynalias.net was interrupted while the page
was loading."

Links (the text browser) gives the somewhat less helpful error message :

"Error loading https://ssl.mydomain.net/: SSL error"

Nothing seems to be written to /var/log/apache2/error_log or access_log.

I've read reports that I must be explicit about which IP address I want
to vhost on - which is undesirable as I want to serve both over Ethernet
and Wireless (i.e. I have two network adaptors) - but seems to make no
difference if I experimentally substitute my ethernet IP address for *
in the vhost configuration.

What's wrong?