> On Sunday 01 October 2006 21:04, Daniel Iliev wrote:
> > Mick wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I want to access remotely my father in law's laptop which
> is running
> > > WinXP to help him out with his IT problems.
> > >
> > > I assumed that krdc will do just that, but all it does is
> to ask me
> > > for the password for my kdewallet and then it fails.  The error
> > > message tells me something about ensuring that remote
> desktop is properly installed.
> > > :-(
> > >
> > > Is there somewhere a How-to for me to follow, to be able
> to connect
> > > to a remote default installation WinXP PC, with no
> physical access
> > > to it, from my Gentoo machine?
> > >
> > > Failing a How-to, how do you do it?
> >
> > emerge net-misc/grdesktop
>
> Thank you.  Given that grdesktop is just a gnome front end
> (equivalent to krdc, which I believe requires vnc) are any
> solutions that work with the default WinXP remote
> desktop/remote assistance set up?
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

I go from my gentoo laptop running fluxbox to all sorts of different
computers running windows RDP constantly -- I use KRDC.  When it fails
on the wallet, just ok it and you should get the windows login screen
anyway --I would say the bigger problem is his connection to the
internet.  It is LIKELY that his ISP does not have those ports open, for
inbound (a way to get more money) that is the way our ISP here is - I
cant even get NTP through :(

Contact me off list if you need more help -- it works slick for me

TIM

Timothy A. Holmes
IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher

Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...