> Hi,
>
> First: stop hijacking threads!
>
> On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 15:21:58 -0400 "Timothy A. Holmes"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > The problem is that the network adapter seems to "fall asleep"
> > periodically. If I attempt to access the base webpage or
> ssh, I get no
> > response till I ping the box -- 8 pings later, it wakes up and acts
> > normally.  For a while, then it starts over.
>
> Flaky switch? (Too) long or bad (non-standard) cabling? That
> was usually the explanation when I was seeing such behaviour.
>
> -hwh
> --
Hans:

Not sure what you mean about hijacking the thread, but I am sorry -- I
didn't mean to do anything wrong.

As far as the switch, its on a hub that is on the span port of a foundry
switch (the hub is used as a poormans network tap -- I have seen the
same type of failure on machines directly connected to a switch also)

The cable is a commercially manufactured cable that tests out correctly
- -its about 6 feet long

TIM

Timothy A. Holmes
IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher

Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...

Jeremiah 33:3
Jeremiah 29:11