Rasmus:

I've had a look at mb2md, and this seems close to what I'd need - though
I'm dubious about two aspects:

1.    It doesn't seem to have a filter mode (i.e. It always takes file
as input as opposed to stdin, which would allow it to slot more neatly
into a procmail based solution.
2.    The documentation suggests that it is intended to transform whole
mbox files into maildir directories - whereas I'd need it to take an
mbox file and append it to a maildir directory which would likely
already contain messages from the previous digest.

Am I missing something obvious (to someone else)?

Reader at Newsguy:

While I don't really understand why your suggestion should work...I
tried it anyway.  It didn't work... and delivered the digest to my inbox
and to my gentoo folder, but didn't in split the digest.