On Wednesday 11 October 2006 21:11, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
> On Thursday 12 October 2006 06:00, Lord Sauron wrote:
> [SNIP]
>
> > I isolated my problem to this:
> >
> > emerge ipw2100 ties in ieee80211, and that fails to compile because
> > it says that the current kernel cannot have the option IEEE80211 in
> > either module or enabled.  It needs it disabled.
> >
> > I tried to use menuconfig and disable it, however, the only way I
> > can do that is by literally disabling ALL networking - drivers and
> > all.
> >
> > Kernel is kernel 2.6.17-gentoo-r8.
>
> [SNIP]
>
> > If anyone knows a better/easier way, please help!
>
> [SNIP]
>
> As of kernel 2.6.17 ipw2100 has been included in the kernel. Hence
> you shouldn't install either of net-wireless/ieee80211 or
> net-wireless/ipw2100. You still need to have
> net-wireless/ipw2100-firmware emerged though. I believe these are the
> kernel options you need (it works for me):
>
> $ zgrep IPW2100\\\|IEEE80211 /proc/config.gz
> CONFIG_IEEE80211=m
> # CONFIG_IEEE80211_DEBUG is not set
> CONFIG_IEEE80211_CRYPT_WEP=m
> CONFIG_IEEE80211_CRYPT_CCMP=m
> CONFIG_IEEE80211_CRYPT_TKIP=m
> # CONFIG_IEEE80211_SOFTMAC is not set
> CONFIG_IPW2100=m
> # CONFIG_IPW2100_MONITOR is not set
> # CONFIG_IPW2100_DEBUG is not set

The curious thing is that the firmware is installed.

I'm trying those exact configuration settings now.  I hope that works,
otherwise I'm really in for quite a mess!

Is it at all possible that the driver is installed and working, and that
I don't have whatever it takes to activate and use it?  For my wired
ethernet card, there's a thing called net.eth0 and all that rot.  When
I get the wireless driver working, how will I create net.wlan0 or
net.eth1 or whatever it is?  I've not no experience there, and I've
been searching rather diligently for a how-to or instruction set to
help me with that.  I find it hard to think that something like that
will generate itself ex nihlo, to say the least : )

--
http://lordsauronthegreat.googlepages.com/