This is not so much a problem as an 'I wonder'...

I currently use dovecot imap with maildir to support several dozen
folders containing several gigabytes of mail using Thunderbird as a mail
client.  This "works" - but I am surprised by the number of imap
processes that the mail server is running to support a single
Thunderbird client... it appears that there is one connection per folder
and one process per connection... which seems (to me at least) to be
overkill.

I'm aware that there are lots of IMAP clients I might have chosen -
Courier; UWImap, Cyrus and dovecot... but I'm finding it difficult to
establish details which would help me choose the most appropriate server
for my purposes.  In order of importance, I'm interested in:

    1.   Stability and reliability.
    2.   Scalability to handle a very large number of 'folders' for a
relatively small number of end-users.
    3.   Performance (primarily with respect to 'new mail'
notifications, but also, to a lesser extent, with searching archived
messages.

I'd be interested to hear any anecdotes from Gentooists who have
addressed a similar question recently...

Steve