Hi,

I am running Gentoo ~amd64 and I recently upgraded MySQL from
5.0.26 to 5.0.26-r1 and things are not working anymore (for example mythtv).

After spending a great deal of time looking at logs, changing
configuration files (namely, my.cnf), installing and de-installing
MySQL, I  still cannot get any programs to connect to mysql, including
"mysql_secure_installation" which outputs the following error message:

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
''/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock'' (2)

But, here is the thing, the socket and pid file values in
/etc/mysql/my.cnf are set to the following:

[client]
socket = /tmp/mysqld.sock
.
.
[mysqld]
socket = /tmp/mysqld.sock
pid-file = /tmp/mysqld.pid

And, after re-starting the MySQL process (/etc/init.d/mysql restart) I
list the processes and find that the mysqld daemon has indeed been
passed the correct configuration values.

mysql    24056     1  0 11:20 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/mysqld
--defaults-file=/etc/mysql/my.cnf --basedir=/usr
--datadir=/storage/mysql-db --pid-file=/tmp/mysqld.pid
--socket=/tmp/mysqld.sock

Could someone please help?
I know I am running ~arch and that this is perhaps "part of the game"
in doing that, but maybe it can be easily fixed...

Thank you,

- AR

--
If you stare long enough into an abyss, the abyss will stare back into you...